Friday, May 2, 2008

Ouch--My legs hurt

Run: Painful. Nike Plus Recorded: 2.9 miles, 24:13 mins, 8:19 min/mile

I ran this morning with my squadron (I'm in the Air Force) and OUCH! was it painful. It wasn't my knees this time. It was my quads and glutes--I worked them out yesterday harder than I ever have before. It felt great, too. Since I am forced to run every other day of the week, and I want to work my legs out in order to strengthen my knees, I don't really have any other option but to do both back to back. I use to take it easy on the lifting, but that didn't have any positive effects. Yesterday, I decided that I was going to challenge myself to make a difference. So, this morning's run with my squadron proved to be utterly useless with a tiny bit of pain sprinkled on top (I know, I know...no run is useless, because you are still running).

Well, I usually am near the front of the pack--maybe the top 10%. This morning, the people I usually pass were passing me. Ugh--being that I convince myself that I am not competitive, but I really am--this urked me just a little bit. Anyways, I finished feeling as if I had ran 3 miles at a 7 min/mile pace, rather than an 8:19 min/mile pace. I was definitely dragging.

Enough of my whining session. Hopefully this weekend's run will be a little better. I also hope that my legs will simmer down the pain to a reasonable tolerance.

On a final note, I just want to say good bye to Italy and it's glorious running paths. If you are ever in the country, never pass up the opportunity for a good run :)

Map of Italy

1 comment:

atrusni said...

Great blog!!, I have been to Italy 3 times now, but I had never had a chance to run there. Hope you start training again when you are in the states again.

Keep on blogging, it helps as a motivation for others to continue running!