Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Running into a California Sunset

What a BEAUTIFUL run today! My co worker--who I will call Dannie--and I went on a run tonight after work. I asked him how far he wanted to go tonight and he said, "you're the boss." I gave him the look like, "are you sure" and laughed. So, I offered 5-6 miles--something he hasn't run in a long time, if ever! And he was down for the run, so off we went!! His lactic threshold is around four miles, so we pushed past that today. He struggled quite a bit, but pushed harder and harder and BAM! right on through that barrier. He finished VERY strong at 5.5 miles with a smile on his face. Granted, while we were running he was behind me muttering, "I hate you Karrie," but at the end he thanked me for keeping him going. I thanked him. He asked why. And I said, "for letting me help you." What a wonderful running partnership, eh?! Wow, I think the runner's high is still lingering as I'm writing this! haha!


I'm hoping this run has helped with his lactic threshold...hopefully pushing it to around the 4.5-5 mile mark. I also hope its helped his lung capacity and his mental strength..."i think i can, i think i can, i think i can." I want him to KNOW he can! The best part about all of this is that he's reached a goal. He has decided that he wants to run a marathon. He wants to be active, unlike the lifestyle he grew up in. What a wonderful turn of events. It started with a, "I was thinking about running tonight, you want to join me?" And has grown to, "I want to run a marathon, will you help train me?" I love it!

5 comments:

Andrew is getting fit said...

What a great thing to have happen! Hopefully he sticks with it and makes it to his marathon.

Yuri said...

Just goes to show the power of running with a partner and pushing each other. Personally, I like
interval training to better my lactate threshold.

Unknown said...

Wow nice moment and time. You are doing very well Nice run there!

saucony shoes

Martin234 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Martin234 said...

I am glad that you are both pushing yourself, but also trying to help someone else to better themselves. It is really nice to have a partner to run with because its not only nice to have someone to talk to, but it helps with the breathing as well. Hopefully, you will be able to reach your goal of participating in your marathon. All it takes is a lot of time and running to set yourself up for success. Good job, keep up the work!!!!

http://running234.blogspot.com/