Saturday, June 14, 2008

First long run in a while


Run: Intense. 9.2 miles. 1:25:52 total time. 9:20 min/mile pace. 864 Calories.

I hit the pavement, pathways, and trails this morning with my husband behind me on the bicycle. He was a kind of motivator for me when the going got tough--especially up those hills. My pace was relatively slow...I didn't want to overdue myself considering all of the dizziness I have been experiencing lately. The sleep I had was PHENOMENAL last night, so I woke up feeling very refreshed. I wanted to get to 8 miles at least, but was striving for 10. I crapped out at 9.2, so I guess I was right in between. It was a hard run; the sun was out, the wind was blowing against me, and I wasn't familiar with the terrain. I brought plenty of water and a couple of gel packs, which definitely helped...but it wasn't enough to keep me going.

This run proved a lot to me today; I need to increase my water and carbohydrate intake in order to last longer. I also need a more positive attitude; more times than not I was thinking, "Man, I just need to stop." A mantra is one thing I will invest some critical thinking into. Each step I take will coincide with a positive word to keep me going past the ninth mile. You-Can-Do-This...or something along those lines. Like I said, I need to think about it some more ;) Anyways. It was a good run. Tomorrow is a day off from running, Monday will be spent lifting weights, and Tuesday I will be stomping ground once more.

No comments: